Litigation Assessments (Opinions)A litigation assessment is my investigation, assessment and detailed explanation of the merits and weaknesses of your litigation case. It is written specifically to inform self-represented persons of the legal issues they need to be aware of in order to self-manage their case. It is much more than what you get in an email consultation. It is an almost-always necessary step before you decide to commence or defend formal legal proceedings, and it is a natural precursor service to my litigation support service.
Proceeding without a litigation assessment is a lot like starting to build a house without a blueprint; it might look like you are saving money at first but you'll soon find out why you needed it.
My litigation assessment service includes:
- detailed discussion and document review to determine the key factual, legal and procedural issues of your case
- identification of available evidence for and against your case
- identification of available legal remedies
- identification of any impending limitation period issues
- explanation of any major expenses involved in pursuing the matter, such as expert report fees, court fees, etc
- my detailed written opinion on the merits of your case
- reasonable follow-up discussion to make sure you understand it all.
- Important Preliminaries
- First, check that your situation falls within my areas of practice. If I feel that your issue is outside of my experience, or for any other reason, I may decline to provide services.
- Everything we say to each other in the course of litigation assessment communications is covered by solicitor-client privilege, even if you do not later hire me for services.
- What I Need From You
- A Case Narrative
This is a chronologically-organized narrative of your situation that includes key dates and events, to a maximum of 500 words. Do not send any case-related documents until I specifically request them - though a chronological list of documents (dates, # of page, author, nature of document) related to the case would be useful for me to select what documents I want to review.
- Mandatory Statement
I need you to complete this statement and send it to me by email:
Simon, I have read your litigation assessment webpage and am requesting a fee quote for that service in relation to the legal situation I have described to you in my narrative. My name is (insert first and last names). I am 18 years or older. I am not currently legally-represented in this matter. My address is (number and street/ town or city or rural route/postal code). My phone number is (........).Note:
The Rules of the Law Society of Upper Canada require that lawyers obtain basic ID information from clients, and that (except for second opinions) lawyers must not take on clients who are already represented. This ID information stays confidential with me alone and I will not phone you.
Fee Quote and Payment Terms
Email me at: Simon Shields, LLB
[If the link doesn't work, please write me at firstname.lastname@example.org and put the phrase "Simon, Can we Talk About a Litigation Assessment?" in the subject line]